Nickel Allergy 101
(Coupon is still valid, watch and learn more!)
There is no cure for nickel allergy. It affects a great number of people and thankfully can be managed by avoidance and knowledge.
This information will help you understand nickel allergy and avoid nickel in your everyday life.
Nickel allergy is a very common form of dermatitis called allergic contact dermatitis or ACD. A rash develops after contact with nickel and may have the following characteristic(s): red, itchy, swelling, welts or hives, and cracks or fissures.
Piercing is a major cause of nickel allergy. When the skin is injured, prolonged contact with the nickel containing stud is a well known cause of sensitization. Sensitization can take a week, a month, or even years to occur.
Nickel salts from the jewelry penetrate the skin and cause the sensitization, then ultimately an allergic reaction. Once an individual is sensitized to nickel, symptoms will appear after contact with nickel.
Nickel allergy is considered a delayed Type IV allergy, meaning an allergic reaction may occur up to 48 hours after contact with nickel.
There is no cure for nickel allergy. Avoidance of nickel is essential for remaining symptom free.
Nickel allergy is the most common cause of contact dermatitis in the industrial world, particularly affecting females, and it is on the rise.
For more information on nickel allergy, visit our nickel allergy information page.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Athena Allergy Inc. All rights reserved